Monday, June 06, 2005

Extremities - based on a true story

The engine roared behind our backs as we sped down the Iturregui Expressway. The city lights fought an arduous battle with the spotlight from above as a small inflatable cruised the dark waters of the lagoon. It was still early for a Saturday night, but my girl and I were already late for dinner.

Devoid of buildings along the waterfront, traffic normally remained light, which in turn allowed for one of my favorite pastimes…speed. It was a fast road with no cops. Seventy-five was the standard, as faster would blow my already balding head to hell. The little sportster handled my demands with no fuss, and this drive seemed designed for it.

This night would be different though, as the gears whined and my right foot found its way to the brake pedal. Something happened. Traffic stopped. An accident? As I drove closer, I spotted the body laid across the road. It had just happened.

My mind raced ahead to the scene. A corpse lay there with its back on the cold asphalt, its guts spewed all over the road. I turned and vomited on my girlfriend, then shunned away in fear as the man appeared in the corner of my eye, my leg nervously slipping off the clutch. The engine stalled. My heart beat faster and faster as I hurriedly attempted to restart the motor to no avail. The headless body walked over towards the car to strangle me with its intestines. I turned the key over and over. Nothing. The body grew closer. My heart beat faster. My girlfriend screamed.

Finally, we were there. In reality, a decapitated biker lay dead on his back. His left arm had been torn away and lay a few feet from his body. The jeans held his legs together, but his T-shirt was no match for the road. Am I disgusted? I thought to myself as I stared intently on the open chest. No. My wonderment lay in his identity. Was the head still in the helmet?

We drove off pondering upon life as one often does after viewing such a scene. The bean cap lay a hundred meters ahead...empty. The night went on, the words unsaid. One question, "Do you think the Harley still runs?"
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Franco Esteve said...

I'm happy for you. Good luck with that.

Miguel Juan said...

I think I remember this incident. You gave it a good gory twist. Pretty cool... I definitely like the question at the end. I think the dogs, which soon will be pinchos, ate the head; and the bike runs in the echos of the night with a headless rider at Sleepy 65th Infantery.

Franco Esteve said...

LOL. Yeah, it's Marvel's Ghost Rider. Thanks for the comments. It was an interesting event for sure, and I reacted differently than I thought. There wasn't any disgust or anything. It was actually interesting in a not so happy kind of way.