Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Land of the Broken Headlights

San Juan, Puerto Rico - We have all seen the advertisements for the Isle of Enchantment, presenting the gorgeous island that Puerto Rico is and can be. It truly is a marvelous place full of beauty and ecological diversity, defying the normal concepts of what a tropical island should have. This is the main reason the highly controversial campaign slogan, "The Continent of Puerto Rico" was used a number of years ago, to describe the Island. But as in many countries and cities throughout the world, it is not without its little quirks and issues.

I will not go into the intricacies of Puerto Rico's values, problems, beauty, or anything of the sort. I'm going to talk about the fact that surprisingly, a manufacturing powerhouse like Puerto Rico (i.e. 16 of the top 20 pharmaceutical products and 50% of all pacemakers are made in Puerto Rico) can't seem to maintain vehicle headlights and could be awarded a new title and advertising slogan, "The land of the broken headlights." I'll explain what I mean.

I took to the road at about 10 pm on a Saturday night. The traffic was light, as it often is on a Saturday as long as you remain away from the heavily frequented night spots in Old San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde. I hadn't reached the first stoplight and I had already counted 3 vehicles with broken headlamps. Having noticed this little detail that has so plagued the roads of San Juan as of late, I decided to count all the broken, damaged, or otherwise disengaged headlamps I could see throughout the entire distance to the aforementioned Condado area. From the township of Guaynabo to the tourist laden, oceanfront area of Condado in San Juan, the distance is approximately 6 to 7 miles (10 to 11 kilometers) depending on which road you've selected to travel on.



I counted without being too attentive (I was driving after all), and yet, I'm not even remotely exaggerating when I say that I saw at least 23 vehicles suffering from what I like to call, "abnormal headlamp syndrome". This medical condition that seems to afflict vehicles in the San Juan metro area is a disease that must and should be controlled for a number of reasons that include safety of the affected vehicle, the annoyance of oncoming traffic, and the possibility of infection of other vehicles from the unavoidably predictable accident that is likely to occur from the mislabeling of the oncoming vehicle as a motorcycle or cloaked Klingon vessel, instead of say a Mercedes M series wagon.

I wondered what the law had to say or do about all this, and even considered the idea of contacting law enforcement to find out. Then, I remembered that the police don't really do or care much about it, considering the amount of vehicles on the road that have already been infected, so that idea was worthless. Also, if a traffic infraction notice could theoretically be injected into the organic life form that acts as the brains of the vehicle, the dosage is too low to actually have an effect upon said vehicle.

So what do I think should be done about this baffling and particularly dark situation? Well, useless as the thought may be, the time for light medicines is over considering the disease has reached plague status, so, here goes. I propose a notice of infraction be provided at a dosage of 500 USD at the moment of diagnosis by an officer. This would quickly eradicate the problem by providing a heavy incentive for the organic form to act quickly on replacing the affected area with a brand new or repaired headlamp and therefore eradicating the blinding condition of abnormal headlamp syndrome. If within 15 days, the lamp has been reconditioned (verified by an officer), then, the dosage would be removed, otherwise the full dosage would be required within yet another 15 days.

Of course, considering that cops won't stop you even if you run a red light in front of them, that probably won't do much either, but may act as a deterrant to those fearing the miraculous event of a police officer actually doing their job. I'm not one to complain much on the freedom and flexibility of the local arrangements, but I can't help but wonder what kind of place it could be if it continues it's present course towards anarchy. It's time for a beer.
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don onderstand the driving when I lived in Puerto Rico las year. I don not have a truck more in Puerto Rico becos I moved to live in Mayami Florida USA but I was delivering pizza for Pizza Hot in Mayami in my new work and we see broken laits also in Mayami and. They give you a tiket and you habe to pey tiket.

Franco Esteve said...

It's organized chaos, but that basic unspoken, underlying order that exists is starting to dissipate. That's what I see as a problem, and the cops. And...

As for Miami, it mostly sucks.

NPB said...

I think its the season changing from summer to fall... the change of temperature affects light bulbs. Someone told me once, it is a greater problem in countries or "continents" where temperatures drop from high summer degrees to fall and winter under zeros. Is that true? It makes sense. Or maybe... how about doing the same experiment on a summer night, that will clear my doubts.

Franco Esteve said...

Whether or not a lightbulb lasts longer or not in accordance to the weather has nothing to do with the issue here, since how much it lasts has nothing to do with one's ability to get it fixed.

Also in terms of bulb duration, my last vehicle had 8 years and they were still working perfectly when I sold it. My current one has 3.5 and also works perfectly. The one before the 8 year old did reach its limit since it was an older model bought used, but I fixed it as soon as it failed and that was that. It's a really simple and inexpensive fix which most people could do themselves or have some friend do it for them if it's no longer in warranty.

There isn't any real excuse for it, and it's been something increasing in frequency the past few years. A number of accidents waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

It's November 2012 and I just came back from a trip from there and the problem continues

it seems as though the police don't care for some reason - I've never seen so many broken headlights/tail lights / delayed/bunched buses and despicable/corrupt taxi drivers...

all in all, I could never recommend anyone to really visit there

Franco Esteve said...

Thank you for the update anonymous. I'm not surprised that it continues to be chaotic. I never did mind the organized chaos, and in fact, loved the benefits and freedom that it can offer. The problem is when everything breaks down and becomes absolutely unpleasant. The cops never cared much and in fact, you might even see a cop car with a broken headlight.

I'd still recommend a visit though, because in spite of the chaotic nature, high crime rate, etc., especially in the San Juan metro area, imho, it's still one of the most beautiful places on Earth, with great food, friendly people, and some of the most spectacular beaches and natural experiences on the planet. :)

Thanks again and sorry to hear you had such a difficult experience. It takes A LOT of getting used to. I hope at least you got to see some of the nicer things on the island. :)